May 8, 2020
Dear Parents & Guardians:
The situation that the Class of 2020 is facing is one that no other class has ever had to endure with the move to online learning and the postponement of year-end events. It is unfortunate that we will not be able to hold an in-person Commencement ceremony on June 5 due to current social distancing guidelines to ensure the health, safety, and well-being of our students, staff, and community.
I want to commend the RRHS senior class officers and the RRHS administrative team for working together over the last few weeks to put together an alternative plan to host a virtual Commencement and parade around the community on June 5. The virtual Commencement video will be posted to the district website at 5:00pm and will feature traditional elements of an RRHS Commencement ceremony. That will be followed by the Class of 2020 parade led by the Rocky River Police Department at 7:00pm. Details on the parade route will be shared when finalized and I encourage the community to make plans to support and help recognize this year’s senior class on June 5 as they prepare for the next stage in their lives.
Here are today’s updates.
Kensington Staff Parade This Evening
- Teachers and staff from Kensington Intermediate School will take part in a social distancing parade around the community this evening.
- Students and families are encouraged to come out to sidewalks and driveways to see teachers and staff.
- The parade will begin at Goldwood Primary School at 7:20pm.
- To see the parade route, please click here.
Week in Review Video
- Please click here to watch the Week in Review Video.
- Highlights include another #RrSchoolsVirtualSpiritWeek, Teacher Appreciation Week, and a salute to some of the RRHS seniors. More senior salutes will follow in the coming weeks.
- Online learning will continue on Monday, May 11.
- For grades K-5, assignments will continue to be posted to each teacher’s Google Classroom. This is noted on the Goldwood Primary School and Kensington Intermediate School websites.
- For grades 6-12, each teacher’s assignments will continue to appear in the location where they normally post. A master list of these locations can be found on the Rocky River Middle School and Rocky River High School websites.
- Please make sure students are checking each teacher’s locations daily for assignments.
- If you have questions regarding assignments, please reach out to your child’s teacher.
Lunches for the Week of May 11-15
- The Nutrition Services team will offer boxed lunches for students in grades K-12 next week (May 11-15). If you are interested in ordering lunches for your child(ren), please fill out this form. The form will need to be filled out more than once if you are requesting lunches for more than one child.
- All orders must be submitted by 6:00pm on Sunday, May 10.
- Drive through pick-up will be on Monday, May 11, between 11:30am-12:30pm at Rocky River Middle School.
- As a reminder, parents/guardians may fill out an application for free or reduced lunch (RRHS/RRMS) and free milk (GPS/KIS) at any time. For immediate processing, please use the secure lunchapp.com web site. Applications will be processed during the extended school closure and the benefits will carry through the end of the year. These benefits will also cover meals we are serving during the extended school closure. If you have any questions about this, please email Nutrition Services Supervisor Tina Wasserbauer ([email protected]).
May Committee-of-the-Whole Meeting
- The Board of Education Committee-of-the-Whole Meeting on Wednesday, May 13, 2020, will take place online at 5:00pm.
- A link to attend the online meeting will be made available next week at RRCS.org.
- Attendees will be able to post a question to the Board to be addressed during the time of the meeting.
- The RRCSD will have another #RrSchoolsVirtualSpiritWeek next week.
- To see the daily themes for next week, please click here.
COVID-19 Website & Resources
- The district is maintaining a COVID-19 webpage that includes recent communications, information, and resources for parents/guardians and families.
- Resources that have recently been added include:
? Links to AP Updates, including the schedule for AP Exams taking place between May 11-22. We wish the best to all students taking AP Exams over the next two weeks.
? The RRCSD Counseling Department shared a video of the “Parking Lot Strategy” that is used to help structure communication for children. To watch this strategy, please click here.
? Behavioral specialist Amy Alison is sharing short video clips with tips on behavior topics. Here are links to this week’s videos:
¦ Remaining Calm and Neutral
¦ Positive Phrasing
¦ Visual Supports
¦ Clear Concise Language
¦ Three Things You're Thankful FoFAQ’s
- Please click here to visit our FAQ website. If you have a question regarding the extended school closure and COVID-19, please click here to submit it. Listed below are recent questions we have received.
How do I get a refund for my EZpay lunch balance?
For seniors at RRHS, all balances of $5.01 or more will be issued via a check made out to the parent/guardian and mailed directly to the home address on file. For balances of $5.00 or less, students will be able to pick up the refund on the June 1st materials drop-off/pick-up day at the high school.
For students in grades K-11, all refunds are handled via the EZ pay website or by emailing Nutrition Services supervisor Tina Wasserbauer ([email protected]). A refund check will be issued and mailed to the home address on file.
Thank you for your continued support of the Rocky River City School District.
Dr. Michael G. Shoaf