May 15, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians:
Over the last few weeks, we have received questions asking if online learning would end prior to the last scheduled day of school on June 4. At Wednesday’s Board of Education Committee-of-the-Whole meeting, this topic was discussed and the decision was made to end new instruction on Friday, May 29. While implementing this plan, the last week of school, June 1-4, will be used for the completion of instruction, online meetings with students to provide additional academic support, completion of assignments, and to allow teachers a chance to plan fun virtual activities for their classes.
Special education services for students will continue through the last day of school.
The district is in the process of finalizing a survey for parents/guardians which will be available from May 27-June 4. We will share a link to the survey and invite you to fill it out and share your feedback about the remote learning experience.
Here are today’s updates.
- Online learning will resume on Monday, May 18.
- For grades K-5, assignments will continue to be posted to each teacher’s Google Classroom. This is noted on the Goldwood Primary School and Kensington Intermediate School websites.
- For grades 6-12, each teacher’s assignments will continue to appear in the location where they normally post. A master list of these locations can be found on the Rocky River Middle School and Rocky River High School websites.
- Please make sure students are checking each teacher’s locations daily for assignments.
- If you have questions regarding assignments, please reach out to your child’s teacher.
- There will be no online learning or assignments on Monday, May 25, in observance of Memorial Day.
Lunches for the Week of May 18-22
- The Nutrition Services team will offer boxed lunches for students in grades K-12 next week (May 18-22). If you are interested in ordering lunches for your child(ren), please fill out this form. The form will need to be filled out more than once if you are requesting lunches for more than one child.
- All orders must be submitted by 6:00pm on Sunday, May 17.
- Drive through pick-up will be on Monday, May 18, between 11:30am-12:30pm at Rocky River Middle School.
- As a reminder, parents/guardians may fill out an application for free or reduced lunch (RRHS/RRMS) and free milk (GPS/KIS) at any time. For immediate processing, please use the secure lunchapp.com web site. Applications will be processed during the extended school closure and the benefits will carry through the end of the year. These benefits will also cover meals we are serving during the extended school closure. If you have any questions about this, please email Nutrition Services Supervisor Tina Wasserbauer ([email protected]).
Special Education Services
- Online service delivery aligned with each students' identified needs continues and will continue through the last day of school.
- Related services and therapies are also being provided via distance learning.
- If you have questions regarding assignments or workload please contact your child's case manager.
RRHS Scholarship & Spring Recognition Virtual Program
- RRHS will conduct its Class of 2020 Scholarship & Spring Recognition Program virtually on Thursday, May 21.
- A PDF of the program will be available to download and a video presentation announcing award recipients and scholarship award winners will be posted to the district and RRHS websites at 9:00am.
RRHS Spring Honors Virtual Program
- This year’s RRHS Spring Honors Awards Program was held virtually on Wednesday, May 13.
- Congratulations to all students who earned Merit, Honors, and High Honors this year, and to all members of the senior class who earned High Honors All Four Years.
- To view the program online, please click here.
DCNEO Storytime Offerings
- The Diversity Center of Northeast Ohio (DCNEO) has put together a storytime program called Connected Through Literature hosted online every Wednesday.
- The program allows families to connect with each other and the DCNEO on Facebook for a read-aloud and family activity geared towards students ages 4-12.
- These videos are posted to the DCNEO Facebook page on Wednesdays.
- You can view the first storytime video on Family Diversity and the second storytime on Self Esteem on the DCNEO Facebook page.
U.S. Census Update
- The Ohio 2020 Census response rate is currently at 64%, which is above the national average of 58.7%.
- Even better news is that Rocky River’s response rate is at 75.7%. Thank you to everyone who has participated.
- If you have not filled out your 2020 Census form yet, you are encouraged to take the time and fill it out as an accurate count brings more federal funds to our city for schools, health care, road construction, and more.
- The Census is Important, Safe, and Easy and you can complete it online, by phone, or by mail. Visit 2020Census.gov to complete the census online.
- For those wishing to complete the questionnaire by phone, please call 844-330-2020. Phone lines are open every day from 7:00 a.m. until 2:00 a.m.
May Board of Education Meeting
- The Board of Education meeting on Thursday, May 21, 2020, will take place online at 5:00pm. A Zoom link to register to attend the online meeting will be available on RRCS.org next week
- Attendees will be able to post a question to the Board to be addressed during the Oral and Written Communications portion of the meeting.
RRCSD COVID-19 Website
- Please continue to visit the district COVID-19 webpage for updates, including the latest communications, information, and resources for parents/guardians.
- Please click here to visit our FAQ website. If you have a question regarding the extended school closure and COVID-19, please click here to submit it. Here are recent questions we have received.
Will there be summer PE for the high school?
Due to the ongoing pandemic and social distancing guidelines, summer school fitness has been canceled.
As always, thank you for your continued support of the Rocky River City School District.
Dr. Michael G. Shoaf