May 19, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians:
On Monday afternoon, Goldwood Primary School teacher Jessica Dessoffy was awarded the Cox Communications Heroes of Distance Learning Award for demonstrating continued excellence while conducting virtual instruction. Jessica, who will receive a $1,000 award for a virtual classroom makeover, received this news on a surprise Zoom call with a representative from Cox Communications and several district administrators.
During this time of virtual instruction, Jessica has created a dynamic virtual classroom for her students. She is building lessons using a number of different technology tools to help students thrive in a digital learning setting. In addition, Jessica is also creating and presenting an online series of webinars for district teachers to learn how to implement these practices.
Congratulations Jessica on this exceptional honor!
Here are today’s updates.
- For grades K-5, assignments will continue to be posted to each teacher’s Google Classroom. This is noted on the Goldwood Primary School and Kensington Intermediate School websites.
- For grades 6-12, each teacher’s assignments will continue to appear in the location where they normally post. A master list of these locations can be found on the Rocky River Middle School and Rocky River High School websites.
- Please make sure students are checking each teacher’s locations daily for assignments.
- If you have questions regarding assignments, please reach out to your child’s teacher.
- There will be no online learning or assignments on Monday, May 25, in observance of Memorial Day.
Lunches for the Week of May 26-29
- The Nutrition Services team will offer boxed lunches for students in grades K-12 next week (May 26-29). If you are interested in ordering lunches for your child(ren), please fill out this form. The form will need to be filled out more than once if you are requesting lunches for more than one child.
- All orders must be submitted by 6:00pm on Sunday, May 24.
- Drive through pick-up will be on Tuesday, May 26, between 11:30am-12:30pm at Rocky River Middle School. Please note the pick-up date for next week has been moved to Tuesday due to the Memorial Day holiday on Monday.
- As a reminder, parents/guardians may fill out an application for free or reduced lunch (RRHS/RRMS) and free milk (GPS/KIS) at any time. For immediate processing, please use the secure lunchapp.com web site. Applications will be processed during the extended school closure and the benefits will carry through the end of the year. These benefits will also cover meals we are serving during the extended school closure. If you have any questions about this, please email Nutrition Services Supervisor Tina Wasserbauer ([email protected]).
Special Education Services
- Online service delivery aligned with each students' identified needs continues and will continue through the last day of school.
- Related services and therapies are also being provided via distance learning.
- If you have questions regarding assignments or workload please contact your child's case manager.
RRHS Spring Recognition and Scholarship Program
- RRHS will conduct its Class of 2020 Scholarship & Spring Recognition Program virtually on Thursday, May 21.
- A PDF of the program will be available to download and a video presentation announcing award recipients and scholarship award winners will be posted to the district and RRHS websites at 9:00am.
Materials Drop-off and Pick-up Schedule
- We will be providing students and families an opportunity to pick up items from their respective schools and also drop off any district-owned materials at the conclusion of the 2019-2020 school year.
- The district administrative team has worked closely with the Cuyahoga County Board of Health on these plans to implement measures and make this process safe and efficient for students, staff, and families.
- To view the complete schedule for drop-off and pick-up at each school, please click here.
- If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact the building principal.
Class of 2020 Commencement, Parade, Cap and Gown Photos
- RRHS will host its virtual Commencement with a video on the district website on Friday, June 5, at 5:00pm.
- Following virtual Commencement, the Class of 2020 will take part in a parade around the community led by the Rocky River Police Department beginning at 7:00pm. The parade route can be viewed here.
- RRHS seniors are encouraged to share a picture in their cap and gown to be used during virtual Commencement. All photos should be sent to Communication Specialist Greg Murphy ([email protected]) by Friday, May 22.
Board of Education Meeting Online on Thursday, May 22
- The Board of Education meeting on Thursday, May 21, 2020, will take place online at 5:00pm. A Zoom link to register to attend the online meeting is available on RRCS.org.
- Attendees will be able to post a question to the Board to be addressed during the Oral and Written Communications portion of the meeting.
- Please click here to visit our FAQ website. If you have a question regarding the extended school closure and COVID-19, please click here to submit it. Here are recent questions we have received.
Is there any word if the Baccalaureate will still happen on May 31 or another date?
Baccalaureate will not happen on May 31. RRHS is discussing the possibility of rescheduling dates for this event with Father John at St. Christopher.
Thank you for your continued support of the Rocky River City School District.
Dr. Michael G. Shoaf