April 28, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians:
is hard to believe, but we are now into our sixth week of online
learning. I want to once again express my sincere thanks and
appreciation to our teachers for continuing to plan and implement online
learning lessons and assignments. We remain committed to providing an
exceptional academic experience for all of our students through the end
of the school year on June 4.
you to our students for your resiliency, quality engagement, and hard
work and to our parents/guardians for your support, flexibility, and
assistance during this time. It has been vital to the progress we
continue to make.
As a reminder, you can visit the district COVID-19 webpage for updates, including the latest communications, information, and resources for parents/guardians.
Here are today’s updates:
- For grades K-5, assignments will continue to be posted to each teacher’s Google Classroom. This is noted on the Goldwood Primary School and Kensington Intermediate School websites.
- For grades 6-12, each teacher’s assignments will continue to appear in the location where they normally post. A master list of these locations can be found on the Rocky River Middle School and Rocky River High School websites.
- Please make sure students are checking each teacher’s locations daily for assignments.
- If you have questions regarding assignments, please reach out to your child’s teacher.
Lunches for the Week of May 4-8
Nutrition Services team will offer boxed lunches for students in grades
K-12 next week (May 4-8). If you are interested in ordering lunches for
your child(ren), please fill out this form. The form will need to be filled out more than once if you are requesting lunches for more than one child.
- All orders must be submitted by 6:00pm on Sunday, May 3.
- Drive through pick-up will be on Monday, May 4, between 11:30am-12:30pm at Rocky River Middle School.
a reminder, parents/guardians may fill out an application for free or
reduced lunch (RRHS/RRMS) and free milk (GPS/KIS) at any time. For
immediate processing, please use the secure lunchapp.com
web site. Applications will be processed during the extended school
closure and the benefits will carry through the end of the year. These
benefits will also cover meals we are serving during the extended school
closure. If you have any questions about this, please email Nutrition
Services Supervisor Tina Wasserbauer ([email protected]).
Update on Rocky River Education Foundation Gala
- RREF Gala chairs Sarah Russell and Greg Robinson have shared the following update on this year’s event.
RREF Gala has been rescheduled for Saturday, August 29th at Westwood
Country Club with an identical format to what we had hoped to hold on
Saturday, March 28th. We will continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation
in the coming months. Should the situation prohibit us from executing
the gala safely as scheduled on Saturday, August 29th, we will move the
event online.We will make that decision by August 1st and will
communicate details of any changes only if necessary. We will send a
separate communication via Givesmart to those that purchased tickets
online, and we are hoping that you can communicate to your own table
guests. Thank you again for your support.
RRHS Seniors Receive Award at Ohio History Day State Contest
to RRHS seniors Grace Suhadolnik and Laura Kressler who received the
National History Day Ohio Historical Records Advisory Board History Day
Award (Senior Division) at the state contest.
- Grace and Laura created a website entry on the Live Aid Concert using this year’s theme of "Barrier Breaker" and did extensive research at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the archives.
- The Ohio History Day state meet took place virtually on Saturday, April 25, and the awards were announced on Monday, April 27.
of Rocky River households have taken part in the 2020 Census. That is
above the 57.7% response rate in Ohio, but we still need everyone's
- An accurate count brings more federal funds to our city for schools, health care, road construction, and more.
- The Census is Important, Safe, and Easy and you can complete it online, by phone, or by mail. Visit 2020Census.gov to complete the census online.
- For those wishing to complete the questionnaire by phone, please call 844-330-2020. Phone lines are open every day from 7:00 a.m. until 2:00 a.m.
- Please click here to visit our FAQ website. If you have a question regarding the extended school closure and COVID-19, please click here to submit it. Listed below are recent questions we have received.
Is the virtual commencement the only event planned for graduating seniors?
On June 5, 2020, the
Rocky River Police Department will lead a senior parade beginning at
7:00 p.m. in order to allow all parents who are working to attend. The
parade route will be published in the near future. Virtual commencement
will be streamed on the district and RRHS website at 5:00 p.m. and will
be archived on the website. More details regarding the senior parade and
virtual commencement will be released in the future.
The following in-person events will only take place if the current restrictions regarding large group gatherings and social distancing are removed by Governor DeWine’s office and the Ohio Department of Health.
- Senior Prom: July 24, 2020 - 7:00 p.m. - location TBD
- Senior Picnic: July 25, 2020 - 11:00 a.m. - RRHS Stadium
- Commencement: July 26, 2020 - 7:00 p.m. - RRHS Stadium
Are recordings of Zoom available for students who have trouble getting into a session?
email your teacher if you are having difficulty accessing their zoom
meeting or if you need information shared in a zoom meeting you missed.
Thank you for your continued support of the Rocky River City School District.
Dr. Michael G. Shoaf