June 5, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians:
With the 2019-2020 school year now complete, I would like to thank everyone for the partnerships, collaboration, and dedicated teamwork you have shown over these last few months. Rocky River City School District (RRCSD) teachers, staff, administrators, students, and parents/guardians once again showed resilience and commitment in responding to a difficult situation.
Our attention now turns to the summer and looking ahead to the 2020-2021 school year. While a return to the normal school routine would be beneficial, there are still many questions and unknowns at this time and we will continue to review and follow the guidelines established by the Governor’s office, the Ohio Department of Education (ODE), and the Cuyahoga County Board of Health (CCBH) to ensure our top priority of a safe and healthy return to school.
We received more than 800 responses from the parent/guardian survey and more than 300 responses from the RRHS/RRMS student survey. Feedback from the recently completed surveys is currently being reviewed and analyzed and results will be shared in the coming days.
When sharing the parent/guardian survey results, I will also offer plans and requests for volunteers to work on committees to assist in mapping out the process and procedures for reopening schools. Committees will include parents/guardians, students, teachers, staff, administrators, department supervisors, and members of the Board of Education. There will also be subcommittees at each building led by building principals to further recommendations and plans. Once a reopening plan is finalized, it will be shared with the RRCSD Board of Education and CCBH for approval.
We hope you and your families have a safe and healthy summer.
Here are today’s updates.
Class of 2020 Virtual Commencement and Parade
- Please join us tonight as we celebrate the Class of 2020 with a Virtual Commencement and a parade around the community.
- The Virtual Graduation video will post to the district and RRHS websites at 5:00pm today. Please click here to watch Virtual Commencement later today.
- The parade will begin at 7:00pm and the route can be viewed here.
RRHS Staff Message to Class of 2020
- Teachers and staff from RRHS put together a video message for the Class of 2020 that can be viewed here.
8th Grade Graduation/Award Ceremonies for Team Ingenuity & Team Integrity
- The Rocky River Middle School 8th grade Virtual Award Ceremonies for Team Ingenuity and Team Integrity are now available.
- The Team Integrity video presentation can be viewed here.
- The Team Ingenuity video presentation can be viewed here.
- Congratulations to all RRMS students who received awards and all students in the Class of 2024.
Kensington 5th Graders Virtually Perform “When I Grow Up”
- A group of fifth graders from Kensington worked with music teacher Sharon Risko to put together a virtual performance of “When I Grow Up”.
- You can view the virtual performance here.
Goldwood 2nd Graders End of Year Celebration
- The Goldwood staff worked on a video to recognize and celebrate our 2nd grade class.
- To view the End of Year Celebration for the Class of 2030, please click here.
Beach Preschool Graduation Video
- Brian Smith, an Intervention Specialist at Beach Preschool, created a video to celebrate this year’s preschool graduation.
- The video can be viewed here.
RRHS and McKeon Counseling Summer Hours
- The Rocky River High School Counseling Department will once again offer summer hours this year for students in grades 9-12.
- In addition, the McKeon Education Group will offer summer hours for students in Grades K-12.
- For more information, dates of availability, and how to schedule appointments, please click here.
As always, thank you for your continued support of the Rocky River City School District.
Dr. Michael G. Shoaf