May 12, 2020
Dear Parents & Guardians:
I hope this message finds you and your families well.
We are now in our eighth week of online learning and are starting to get questions about how the 2020-2021 school year will look. While there are a number of different options being reported, we will continue to follow the guidance and recommendations of the Governor’s office, the Ohio Department of Education, and the Ohio Department of Health. Until we have definitive guidance on what next year’s school model will look like, our focus will remain on continuing instruction through the end of the 2019-2020 school year on June 4. Thank you to students, staff, parents/guardians, and families who continue to be supportive, patient and understanding as we navigate through these unprecedented times together.
Here are today’s updates.
- For grades K-5, assignments will continue to be posted to each teacher’s Google Classroom. This is noted on the Goldwood Primary School and Kensington Intermediate School websites.
- For grades 6-12, each teacher’s assignments will continue to appear in the location where they normally post. A master list of these locations can be found on the Rocky River Middle School and Rocky River High School websites.
- Please make sure students are checking each teacher’s locations daily for assignments.
- If you have questions regarding assignments, please reach out to your child’s teacher.
Lunches for the Week of May 18-22
- The Nutrition Services team will offer boxed lunches for students in grades K-12 next week (May 18-22). If you are interested in ordering lunches for your child(ren), please fill out this form. The form will need to be filled out more than once if you are requesting lunches for more than one child.
- All orders must be submitted by 6:00pm on Sunday, May 17.
- Drive through pick-up will be on Monday, May 18, between 11:30am-12:30pm at Rocky River Middle School.
- As a reminder, parents/guardians may fill out an application for free or reduced lunch (RRHS/RRMS) and free milk (GPS/KIS) at any time. For immediate processing, please use the secure lunchapp.com web site. Applications will be processed during the extended school closure and the benefits will carry through the end of the year. These benefits will also cover meals we are serving during the extended school closure. If you have any questions about this, please email Nutrition Services Supervisor Tina Wasserbauer ([email protected]).
Update on EZpay Lunch Reimbursements
- In Friday’s FAQ section, there was a question regarding refunds for EZpay lunch balances. Please see the updated response to the question listed below.
? For seniors at RRHS, all balances of $10.01 or more will be issued via a check made out to the parent/guardian and mailed directly to the home address on file. For balances of $10.00 or less, students will be able to pick up the refund on the June 1st materials drop-off/pick-up day at the high school.
? For students in grades K-11, you may request a refund if you are moving out of the district. All refunds are handled via the EZ pay website or by emailing Nutrition Services supervisor Tina Wasserbauer ([email protected]). A refund check will be issued and mailed to the home address on file.
? Otherwise, the money will remain in your child’s account and follow them throughout their time in RRCSD.
Materials Drop-off and Pick-up
- The district administrative team is working with the Cuyahoga County Board of Health to finalize plans on a schedule for students/families to pick-up materials left at school and also drop off materials back to the district.The plan will be shared when finalized.
Clarification on Overdue Library Notices from Schools
- You or your child(ren) may receive a notification from their school library alerting them of overdue and/or missing items.
- Please note that these materials can be returned with other school materials on the materials drop-off/pick-up dates that will be announced when finalized.
- Students with school devices will be instructed how and when to return those items.
- All devices checked out to students during the closure are not considered overdue.
RRHS Spring Honors Awards Program
- This year’s RRHS Spring Honors Awards Program will be held virtually on Wednesday, May 13.
- A link will be made live on the district and high school websites tomorrow at 9:00am with information about the program.
- Congratulations to all students who earned Merit, Honors, and High Honors this year, and to all members of the senior class who earned High Honors All Four Years.
May Committee-of-the-Whole Meeting
- The Board of Education Committee-of-the-Whole Meeting on Wednesday, May 13, 2020, will take place online at 5:00pm.
- A link to attend the online meeting is available at RRCS.org.
- Attendees will be able to post a question to the Board to be addressed during the time of the meeting.
- Please click here to visit our FAQ website. If you have a question regarding the extended school closure and COVID-19, please click here to submit it.
As always, thank you for your continued support of the Rocky River City School District.
Dr. Michael G. Shoaf