April 7, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians:
are halfway through the first week of instruction on new material and I
continue to be amazed by our teachers and how they have been able to
adapt to the challenges we are facing. District administrators and
support staff continue to work behind the scenes to ensure students and
families receive the support they need. Our students are missed in the
classroom, but are maintaining communication with their teachers to
ensure productive learning. And of course, none of what we are doing
could be accomplished without the assistance and support we have
received from our parents and guardians.
Below are some updates for this week.
Instruction on New Material and Assignments
- Instruction of new material began on Monday, April 6.
are using a variety of tools and resources as we introduce new
material, including zoom, screencastify, google classroom, video clips,
textbook platforms and materials, ALEKS, Achieve 3000, and MyOn to name
- For grades K-5, assignments are being posted to each teacher’s Google Classroom. This is noted on both the Goldwood Primary School and Kensington Intermediate School websites.
- For grades 6-12, each teacher’s assignments will continue to appear in the location where they normally post. A master list of these locations can be found on the Rocky River Middle School and Rocky River High School websites.
- Please make sure students are checking each teacher’s locations daily for assignments
- Remain in contact with teachers regarding instruction/content for your children.
- Spring Break begins on Friday, April 10, 2020, and runs through Sunday, April 19, 2020.
- There will be no assignments posted during this time.
- Online instruction will resume on Monday, April 20, 2020.
Lunches for the Week of April 13-17
Nutrition Services team will offer boxed lunches for students in grades
K-12 next week (April 13-17). If you are interested in ordering lunches
for your child(ren), please fill out this form. The form will need to be filled out more than once if you are requesting lunches for more than one child.
orders must be submitted by 11:59pm on Sunday, April 12. Drive through
pick-up will be on Monday, April 13, between 11:30am-12:30pm at Rocky
River Middle School.
a reminder, parents/guardians may fill out an application for free or
reduced lunch (RRHS/RRMS) and free milk (GPS/KIS) at any time. For
immediate processing please use the secure lunchapp.com
web site. Applications will be processed during the extended school
closure and the benefits will carry through the end of the year. These
benefits will also cover meals we are serving during the extended school
closure. If you have any questions about this, please email Nutrition
Services Supervisor Tina Wasserbauer ([email protected]).
RRHS Senior Scholarship Application
2020 RRHS Local Scholarship Application is now active and all seniors
should have received a Google Form to fill out and apply.
- Once your application is complete, please join the Google Classroom and upload your .docx resume by April 20, 2020, at 4:00pm.
- The scholarship committee will meet once the application closes to review submissions
April Committee-of-the-Whole Meeting
- The Board of Education Committee-of-the-Whole Meeting on Wednesday, April 8, 2020, will take place online at 5:00pm.
- A Zoom link to attend the online meeting is available at RRCS.org.
- Attendees will be able to post a question to the Board to be addressed during the time of the meeting.
- The April 23, 2020, Board of Education Business Meeting will also be conducted online.
COVID-19 Information Website and FAQs
- The district is maintaining a COVID-19 webpage that includes recent communications, information, and resources for parents and families.
- Please click here to visit our FAQ website. If you have a question regarding the extended school closure and COVID-19, please click here to submit it.
- Here are questions we have received since the last communication.
what point will the decision be made about whether or not there will be
final exams for classes taken for high school credit? If there are no
final exams, how will Q3 and Q4 be weighted to determine a student's
second semester grade? Will it be 50/50, 60/40, 70/30 or something else?
will be no final exams for high school courses, including those taught
at RRMS. Grades for the 4th quarter will include work given from March
16-April 3 and new instruction which began on April 6. The semester 2
final grade for high school credit courses will be an average of quarter
3 and quarter 4.
I want to thank all public health officials, medical professionals, and
essential personnel who continue their work and efforts during this
Thank you for your continued support of the Rocky River City School District.
Dr. Michael G. Shoaf