September 13, 2022
ROCKY RIVER, Ohio - The Rocky River City School District was awarded the Trusted Learning Environment (TLE) Seal by The Consortium for School Networking (CoSN), becoming just the second district in Ohio to earn the TLE Seal. The honor is a national distinction awarded to school districts that demonstrate a tangible commitment to protecting student data through modern, rigorous policies and practices.
The CoSN TLE Seal Program is the only privacy framework designed specifically for school systems. TLE Seal recipients are currently protecting the privacy of over 1 million students annually and providing privacy training for almost 70,000 teachers nationwide.
Earning the TLE Seal requires that school systems take specific steps to implement strong data privacy practices in the following areas:
- Leadership, by providing the guidance, frameworks and resources to direct the use and governance of student data in a manner that is transparent to all stakeholders.
- Business, by establishing vetting processes and contracts for technology providers that, at a minimum, comply with applicable laws while supporting innovation.
- Data security, by implementing strong data protection practices across all media and auditing regularly to maintain high thresholds over time.
- Professional development, by requiring school staff to conduct privacy and security training and offering related resources to all community stakeholders.
- Classroom, by implementing educational processes and procedures to ensure transparency and build privacy knowledge while advancing curricular goals.
“We applaud the work of our latest TLE Seal recipients and of the school districts nationwide that continue to leverage the TLE Seal Program to support development and maturity of organization-wide student data privacy programs,” said Keith Krueger, CEO, CoSN.
To learn more about the TLE Seal Program visit CoSN.org/Trusted.
CoSN (the Consortium for School Networking) is the premier professional association for school system technology leaders. CoSN provides thought leadership resources, community best practices and advocacy tools to help leaders succeed in the digital transformation. CoSN represents over 13 million students in school districts nationwide and continues to grow as a powerful and influential voice in K-12 education. CoSN.org
About the CoSN Trusted Learning Environment Seal Program
The CoSN Trusted Learning Environment (TLE) Seal program is the nation’s only data privacy framework for school systems, focused on building a culture of trust and transparency. The TLE Seal was developed by CoSN in collaboration with a diverse group of 28 school system leaders nationwide and with support from AASA, The School Superintendents Association, the Association of School Business Officials International (ASBO) and ASCD. School systems that meet the program requirements will earn the TLE Seal, signifying their commitment to student data privacy to their community. TLE Seal recipients also commit to continuous examination and demonstrable future advancement of their privacy practices.