**The 3 primary light colors are red, blue, and green
**ELECTROMAGNETIC SPECTRUM (LONGEST wavelengths…least harmful) to SHORTEST wavelengths…most harmful)
VISIBLE LIGHT IS THE ONLY PART OF THE ELECTROMAGNETIC SPECTRUM DETECTABLE BY THE HUMAN EYE
THE COLOR WITH THE HIGHEST FREQUENCY ANDSHORTEST WAVELENGTHS IS VIOLET
THE COLOR WITH THE LOWEST FREQUENCY ANDLONGEST WAVELENGTHS IS RED
AN EXAMPLE OF A WAVE THAT CAN BE TRANSMITTED THROUGH A VACUUM (NO MATTER) IS ANY TYPE OF RADIATION (TRANSVERSE WAVE)
A WAVE IN WHICH THE PARTICLES OF THE MEDIUM MOVE AT RIGHT ANGLES TO THE DIRECTION OF THE STANDING WAVE IS CALLED A TRANSVERSE WAVE
THE NUMBER OF COMPLETE WAVE CYCLES PER UNIT OF TIME IS CALLEDFREQUENCY
FREQUENCY TIMES WAVELENGTH =WAVE SPEED
THE APPARENT BREAKING IN TWO OF A PENCIL THAT IS PLACED DIAGONALLY PARTWAY INTO WATER IS CAUSED BYREFRACTION
YOU CAN HEAR A SOUND THAT IS PRODUCED OUT OF SIGHT, AROUND THE CORNER OF A BUILDING BECAUSE OF THIS__________. IT IS THE SAME THING THAT CAUSES A RAINBOW ON YOUR DVD’S OR CD’S. IT IS THE BENDING OF WAVES AROUND SOMETHING. THIS IS CAUSED BY DIFFRACTION.
THE MAXIMUM DISPLACEMENT OF MOLECULES IN A MEDIUM FROM THEIR REST POSITION IS AMPLITUDE.
PRACTICE: DRAW AND LABLE CORRECTLY: A CREST, TROUGH, WAVELENGTH, AND AMPLITUDE
A compressional wave causes particles in matter to move back and forth along the same direction in which the waves travels. (Think of a slinky after you flick your wrist holding one end...you can see the compressional wave travel)
- The distance between two consecutive similar points on a wave is a wavelength. GOING CREST TO CREST ON A WAVE IS AN EASY WAY TO MEASURE THIS…
- The maximum displacement of a wave is its amplitude.
- The frequency of a wave is the number of waves that pass a point per unit of time
- The motion of the medium is parallel to the direction of a longitudinal wave.
- formula: The wave speed equals frequency times the wavelength.
- The density and elasticity of a medium affect the speed of the wave.
- Reflection occurs when a wave bounces back.
- The law of reflection states that the angle of the incidence equals the angle of reflection.
- Waves traveling through the same space at the same time interfere with each other.
- A wave produced at the resonant frequency of a material is a standing wave
- Sound is a form of energy that causes particles of medium to vibrate back and forth.
- Sound is a compressional or longitudinal wave.
- The speed of sounds on the properties of the medium. Speed travels faster at high temperatures, in more elastic mediums, and in less dense mediums.
-The top of a wave is called the CREST
-The bottom of a wave is called the TROUGH
-A wave is a disturbance that transfers ENERGY
-In a COMPRESSION, the molecules in that medium are crowded together (Think of the slinky experiment that we did)
In a RAREFACTION, the molecules in that medium are spread apart (Think of the slinky experiment that we did)
A wave that is bounced back is called a REFLECTED WAVE
The unit used to measure frequency is called the HERTZ