Saturday, March 11, 2017
Out of the nine River competitive teams, three are on their way to the state tournament on April 8th!
1. Fifth grade KIS students Izzy Kovacs, Juliana Benjamin and Maggie Pfahl are headed to states for their cipher skills in the Top Secret Scientific Challenge. Susan Hemphill and John Kovacs were the team managers.
2. Fourth grade KIS student, Beatrix Stickney and her brother, RRMS sixth grader, Hugo Stickney very creatively presented a show with an Opening and Headlining Act as part of the Technical Challenge. This is Hugo's second time headed to states. Melissa Stickney was team manager.
3. RRMS Sixth and Seventh graders Dasara Beta, Sofia Mural, Anna Rouphail, and former RRMS student, Pearson Keller participated in the Service Learning Challenge. They worked with the Lakewood Animal Shelter to provide goods and services. Thanks to Megan for allowing them to collect much needed items. This is also this team's second time going to states. Mirela Qirjazi, Dasara's mom, was the team manager.
· The all-fourth-grade team of Kaiya Mayich, Brynn Bennett, Gigi Moeller, and Trang Ngo took home the second place trophy for the Fine Arts Vanished performance. Hayley Mayich was team manager.
· Another KIS team (third and fifth graders), Sophie Pangrace, Izzy Pangrace, Mel Harmath, and Vivian O'Donnell took home the fourth place ribbon in the same category. Ruth Pangrace, Sophie's and Izzy's grandma was the team manager.
· KIS fourth grade team of Tom Malquest, Evan Baisch, Luke and Nathan Naymich took home a third place trophy for the Service Learning challenge. Mayor Pam Bobst has been an incredible help to this team. Thanks also to Todd Murphy who is assisting the boys to spread the important word about fire safety to KIS students. Melany Malquest was the team manager.
· KIS third graders, Cicely Babb, Marko Dzodzo, Alexander Ganzer, Lilly Owens, and Charlie Stephens took fifth place (out of 12 teams) for the Scientific Top Secret Challenge. This was the first year in the competitive division for these students. Kencade Babb was team manager.
· Another KIS third grade team, headed by Robert and Andrea Kimmel, also participated in the Scientific Top Secret Challenge. Chiara Kimmel, Elleana Biscardi, Ryker Mostoller-Gaggiani, Sinead McKenna, and Grace Richmond worked very hard to create a cipher and various colored lights. They tied for ninth.
· RRMS six grade students, Adam Beach, Will Beach, Darren Gerrity, and Gabe Harmath participated in the Fine Arts Vanished Challenge and came in sixth place. They were managed by Ruth Beach and Stacie Gerrity.